Service Pupils and The Joseph Rowntree School
As a school we recognise and acknowledge the unique challenges that some service pupils may face during their education.
The Government (www.gov.uk) defines a child as a service pupil if:
• one of their parents is serving in the regular armed forces (including pupils with a parent who is on full commitment as part of the full time reserve service)
• they have been registered as a ‘service child’ on the January school census at any point in any school since 2016
• one of their parents died whilst serving in the armed forces and the pupil receives a pension under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or the War Pensions Scheme
• the child is still living permanently with the service parent following a divorce
• the child is no longer living with the service parent following a divorce, they will be eligible for up to 6 years following the divorce or until the end of year 11, whichever comes first
• they are step children of serving personnel living with their service step parent
We host Camo Club which is a virtual meeting point for students with access to information and support.
We have a nominated Armed Forces Champion who is an advocate and point of contact for service pupils, their families and the wider community. We maintain links with the local Service Families Liaison Officer and a range of support networks.
For more information contact Mrs C Harding (AFC) [email protected]