Free School Meals
How do you qualify for free school meals?
It is a well known fact that school meals are important not just for nutrition but also for helping students to learn thus helping them to achieve their full potential. School meals also save you from having to worry about the effort and expense of making packed lunches every day.
Your child could be entitled to free school meals if you are entitled to the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Families in receipt of Child Tax Credit will also qualify provided that (a) they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and (b) their annual income, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs, does not exceed £16,190 as at 6 April 2010 (subject to annual review).
How to apply:
For more information on entitlement visit www.directgov.co.uk
If you think your child should be receiving free school meals, take proof of entitlement into your child’s school. All information will be dealt with sensitively and confidentially by the school. The school endeavours to encourage and support both parents and students in every child’s well being. By applying for free school meals, the school is also able to access other benefits to support student’s further such as, for example, the pupil premium.
How would your child access the Free School Meal?
We operate a cashless catering system in school. All students are given an identity card when they join us. This card also doubles up to allow access to school printers and to make purchases from our catering facilities. The Free School Meal allowance is downloaded automatically onto an eligible students account and payment for food is made in exactly the same way as all other students. It is completely confidential; no-one can tell if a student is having a Free School Meal.
If you require any further information on free school meals, please do not hesitate to contact the school. [email protected]